Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the large intestine of an individual. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) affects nearly 25 to 45 million Americans, most of which are women. Most people have symptoms of this condition in their late teens the to the early 40s. It is not life-threatening per se, and it doesn’t make an individual more susceptible to get any other colon problems, like intestinal ulcers, Crohn’s disease, or even colon cancer. However, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) can be a long-lasting problem that may change the way of an individual’s life entirely. People suffering from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are often known to miss their work or school due to its painful symptoms. In certain extreme or critical cases, an individual may also be required to change the work settings and working hours. It may not be the case every time; however, it is always a huge possibility that needs to be managed in the long term. Only a small number of people with IBS suffer from severe symptoms. Following are some of the signs and symptoms that a person is suffering from Irritable bowel Syndrome.
- Persistent abdominal pain.
- Irregular bowel movements.
- Constipation or diarrhea for longer periods.
- Partially relieved bowel movements.
- Excessive gas accumulation in the abdomen.
- Mucus or spots of blood in stool.
- Vomiting and indigestion.
- Muscle contractions in the intestine.
- Hard, dry stools.
- Slow food passage.
- Nervous digestive system.
- Damaged abdominal nerves.
- Rectal and intestinal pain.
The walls of the human intestines are lined with multiple layers of muscle. These muscles contract as they move food through the digestive tract. Weak intestinal contractions caused by Irritable Bowel Syndrome can slow the passage of food and lead to hard and dry stools which are the main cause of pain and eruptions. There are organic laxative supplements in USA available for this. These herbal irritable bowel syndrome supplements in USA are available over the counter without any prescription. Although, consulting the natural supplements practitioner is always advisable before you buy these natural laxatives in USA.
Discomfort caused due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be attributed to various factors. Normal stools require coordinated signals between the brain and the intestine. Together, they cause contractions and help in the overall excretion process. Excess gas affects these contractions and the body reacts to these changes, causing inflammation in the intestine. The immune response to it is associated with pain and diarrhea. In the most severe cases, there can be gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is defined as a severe bout of diarrhea due to the presence of a virus or bacteria in the intestine. In Irritable Bowel Syndrome, due to weak muscles, it is easy for harmful viruses and bacteria to settle in the intestine. This can further lead to various other complications and may invite a variety of diseases in its host’s body. There are some friendly bacteria living in the intestine. This friendly bacteria is known as “microflora” and is required for the health of the intestine. A study suggests that a person suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome has a different set of microflora than that on a healthy person.
Symptoms of IBS can be triggered by various activities and daily habits. Following is the list of such triggers:
- Food: Food allergy or food intolerance can sometimes trigger Irritated Bowels. However, the role of these aspects in IBS is still unknown. Consuming excess dairy products, aerated/carbonated drinks, alcohol citrus fruits, cabbage, excess of spices etc. can trigger IBS.
- Stress: Stress is one of the biggest triggers of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Stress releases cortisol, the hormone which is responsible for causing multiple health issues, among which IBS happens to be number one.
- Hormones: Women are more likely to get affected by IBS, this is due to the constant hormonal changes in the body. Stress could be another factor, but hormonal imbalance is one of the greatest causes of IBS, especially in women. Every month, a woman undergoes many upheavals in her hormone regulation which is a major reason for IBS. More precisely, this condition may develop during or after pregnancy.
There are some ways in which this condition can be managed. Including herbal dietary supplements in USA as a part of daily routine is one of them. Some others are as mentioned below.
- First and foremost, a sedentary lifestyle needs to be changed to an active one. More physical exercise should be included in one’s daily life.
- More fibre should be included in the diet. The fibre should come from vegetables and fruits if possible. Fruits and vegetables not only provide fibres, but also provide the body with essential nutrients required to keep the body healthy.
- Avoid junk food, packaged foods, and spicy foods as much as possible. Try to cut fats and sugar content which would be overall beneficial for one’s health.
- Learn relaxation of mind and muscle to provide respite to the mind and body in order to beat the stress and problems caused by stress.
- Focus on physical and mental health wellbeing, for the harmonious body is the one that has harmony in all its bodily processes.
- Consume healthy herbs; if not possible, consume herbal dietary supplements in USA that are beneficial for human health.
It has been found in many studies that the herbs can have a positive impact in treating IBS. Some of these herbs are as follows:
- Peppermint is helpful in relaxing the colon muscles and in relieving abdominal pains.
- Peppermint also helps in relieving a person of nausea and aids in digestion.
- Yogurt soothes the stomach and intestinal lining and prevents inflammation of the intestinal lining.
- Ginger contains phenolic compounds and is known to soothe gastrointestinal irritations.
- Turmeric helps in healing inflammations and helps with diarrhea and constipation symptoms.
- Turmeric is also helpful in soothing stomach cramps.
- Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of Anise help in dealing with IBS symptoms.
- Fennel relieves a person of gas, bloating and intestinal spasms.
- Chamomile relaxes and soothes the stomach as well as the mind, thus reducing stress and problems caused by stress.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a difficult condition to deal with, but not impossible. There are many ways the condition can be handled and including herbal irritable bowel syndrome supplements in USA in your daily diet is definitely a way to go.