Water is a basic necessity of every living being. Due to increasing 2P’s, i.e. population and pollution, this essential resource has become either contaminated or has become limited. Several measures are being taken to save this precious resource. Besides this, advanced technologies have been introduced to recycle or reuse drinking water.
Water Purifiers are the latest technology used across the world to make water having impurities fit for drinking. Increasing use of water purifiers has attracted many companies into this industry. Ample options on the market use different ways to clean water. Increasing awareness about the environment has moved everybody to buy one for their family. Everyone wants the best water purifier that prevents their families from water-borne diseases.
But the question is how to choose the best water purifier?
Choosing the water purifier depends on TDS level in drinking water coming in your area. TDS is Total dissolved salts. It is a total amount of ions, including minerals, salts, and metals dissolved in water expressed as mg per unit volume of water(mg/L) or parts per million (ppm). TDS with a value higher than 500 ppm is considered as hard or contaminated water. RO purifiers are considered best with water having high TDS values. UV water purifiers are best for water having low TDS levels.
Advantages and Disadvantages of RO and UV water purifiers
RO water purifier
RO stands for Reverse Osmosis. It is the best water purifier to treat hard water. It does remove dissolved impurities and solids but is not much effective in case of microorganisms. It uses RO membrane, which is like a fragile cloth that filters all viruses, bacteria and other poisonous chemicals like pesticides and metals.
- It is the best solution to treat hard water and convert it into soft water.
- Many metals like lead, mercury, Chlorine, Arsenic, etc. cause harm to different parts of the human body. RO water purifier removes all those effects.
- It is best for eliminating Cryptosporidium, which is a parasitic coccidian protozoan causes intestinal infection and is found in lakes, rivers and drinking water.
- The water wasted from RO can be used in many other things like mopping, cleaning, car-washing and giving water to plants.
- Besides removing many unwanted impurities, RO water purifier removes many essential minerals such as iron, magnesium, calcium, and sodium that can cause a mineral deficiency in the human body.
- It has water storage tanks that save water in case of electricity cut off.
- RO water purifiers are not efficient enough to remove all microorganisms like bacteria and virus, which can cause water-borne diseases.
- It provides tasteless water removes essential minerals also.
- It requires electricity and takes a long time to purify water.
- Wastage of water is more. Approx 2 litres of water is wasted to purify 1 litre of water.
- No alarm or indication is given if the membrane gets damaged or broken. For example-if RO membrane is damaged due to chlorine. It blocks the membrane pores, and it stops working properly.
A good RO purifier should not only eliminate bad salts and hard metals but also should retain the natural minerals.
UV Water purifier
UV water purifier uses ultraviolet rays that produce a tube through which water passes and all microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria etc. gets deactivated. The UV radiations are effective enough to kill 99% of germs.
- UV water purifiers do not require much maintenance and have long-lasting filters.
- It effectively removes pathogens and microbes that can cause illness in children.
- The technology used in UV water purifiers does not use any chemicals to clean water. Hence the water does not lose its taste and colour.
- Electricity used by UR water purifiers is equal to that consumed by a 60-watt bulb.
- It takes less time to purify water.
- It does not remove the hardness of the water.
- It does not have a storage tank as in RO water purifiers.
- It does not clean the water containing mud. In this case, water should be passed through some other purifiers which can remove mud from water and then it should pass through the UV water purifier.
- In case of frequent electricity cut-offs, this purifier won’t be a successful installation.
- There is no way to know about any damage or improper working of UV water purifier.
- In case any microorganism is missed by UV rays, it multiples and make water impure for drinking. Hence chlorination is advised after water gets filtered through the UV water purifier.
Therefore choosing the best Aqua water purifier requires thorough information about the water levels and workings of different water purifiers. From above, we can say RO with UV or RO UV water purifier works best for household purpose. The lacking points in one is an advantage in another.
Reading the above points must have cleared your mind on choosing the best water purifier.