The novel coronavirus has affected more than 80 lakh individuals in India, causing the death of more than 1.2 lakh of these patients. While countries across the globe are combating the effects of this virus, India has been hit particularly hard. It is primarily due to the high population, lack of proper sanitation protocols, and other country-specific reasons.
While several affected Indians may not require hospitalisation or professional care in case of infection, individuals with comorbidities or compromised immunity may suffer from severe complications. In such an instance, patients would need to seek treatment at hospitals or healthcare centres. A coronavirus insurance plan can thus help one claim expenses related to such treatments.
Features of coronavirus insurance plans in India
The Covid Insurance policy provided by Bajaj Finserv under its Pocket Insurance & Subscriptions offers one of the best financial coverage benefits against Covid-19-related treatment expenses. Individuals opting for such a plan can save a considerable amount when diagnosed positively with the viral infection and admitted to the hospital.
Listed below are some of the features of such a policy, which can help patients fund treatment expenses conveniently –
- Hospitalisation expenses
If you are hospitalised for a period of more than 24 hours for the infection’s treatment, a coronavirus insurance plan can help you reclaim the hospitalisation charges. However, to avail this benefit, the report regarding Covid-19 positive diagnosis must be acquired from a government healthcare centre or ICMR-approved lab.
- Expenses for the treatment of comorbidities
The best coronavirus insurance policies offer financial assistance for the treatment of comorbidities arising out of Covid-19 infection as well. Thus, if the policyholder suffers from additional complications due to pre-existing health disorders, such as diabetes, heart disease, and/or others, he/she can avail such treatment expenses from the insurance provider.
- Ambulance charges
Each coronavirus insurance policyholder can also claim up to Rs.2,000 per instance of hospitalisation as ambulance charges. This additional support can help one save more during Covid-19-related hospital admissions while ensuring immediate medical care is availed due to financial surety.
- Pre and post-hospitalisation coverage
The coronavirus insurance coverage also provides financial reimbursement for medical expenses 30 days prior to hospital admission as well as post the policyholder’s release from the medical facility.
- AYUSH remedies covered under the policy
One of the most significant advantages of this coronavirus insurance cover is that it offers financial assistance to seek treatment from alternative medicine systems such as Ayurvedic, Yoga, Unani, and the likes when diagnosed with the viral infection.
This coronavirus insurance plan is available at affordable rates, enabling individuals to safeguard their finances after an unfortunate Covid-19 diagnosis. An infection cover is an additional insurance plan which safeguards policyholder’s finances against tetanus infections.
Even though a Covid-19 insurance policy can prevent you from facing a financial burden, undergoing hospitalization with the condition can put you under immense risk. A better alternative is to take proper precautions against the viral infection, ensuring optimal protection.
How to protect against the Covid-19 virus?
The coronavirus spreads primarily in the form of human-to-human spread. When infected individual sneezes or coughs, the small droplets released in the air are transmitted to others nearby, and further carried on via close contact with other individuals. The following are some of the most dependable ways to prevent this infection –
- Follow social distancing norms – Experts recommend maintaining a minimum distance of 6 feet between two individuals when in public. It is the minimum distance that droplets can travel, thereby risking infections.
- Wear a face mask when stepping outside – A face mask, covering the mouth and nose of an individual, can severely reduce the risk of viral transmission. Droplets carrying the germs cannot breach one’s mouth or nose to reach body fluids when he/she is wearing such a mask.
- Wash your hands frequently – Individuals generally have a habit of touching their face and mouth without notice of doing so. In such cases, the virus can transfer from one’s hands to his/her mouth or nose. Washing one’s hands frequently with soap and water can reduce such risks significantly. In the absence of soap and water, one can also use an alcohol-based sanitizer to clean his/her hands.
- Go outside only when essential – Individuals aged 60 years or more and children should limit the time spent outside to reduce the risk of contracting the infection. Additionally, those who suffer from compromised immunity should also avoid going out if not essential.
Besides coronavirus insurance policies, an individual must also look into additional financial protection in the form of waterborne diseases cover to remain covered at all times. Such a policy can help individuals claim monetary benefit when diagnosed with severe cases of diarrhea, cholera, and other similar conditions. Knowing what is coronavirus is not enough though. One also needs to enforce proper precautions, both financial and health-wise, to ensure a thorough safety.