This article will guide readers to file the TDS returns with easy to follow step by step procedure. So if readers want to know:
- How to file a TDS return?
- How to file TDS returns without the help of an expert and without using any 3rd party software?
Then they are at the right place at the right time, because after going through the complete article they would be knowing the answer to both. The important fact is that in this guide only the utilities that are available on the official NSDL website would be used.
This article is providing a step-by-step to filing TDS returns without the help of an expert or any software.
How to file TDS return without any expert or Software
Forms and Compile Your Data
- There are two forms for each TDS Return
Form 24Q: For info of TDS subtracted and deposited on salaries,
Form 26Q: Carries details of TDS subtracted and deposited on income other than salary
Step 1. First of all, we need to compile your data in the prescribed format. The compilation process is the most important process. After the compilation of the entire data, the filing process of TDS return becomes easier.
Basically, two types of data need to be filled In the TDS return utility, two are:
- Data/ Info related to challans
- Details/ Information of the deductee for whose dues, a challan is being filed. The taxpayer required to compile all the details challan-wise
First, we need to compile all the details that will be presented in the challan. As stated above there are two types of challans. There is a challan for TDS deposit under section 192 is for salary. The first type of challan is used in filing Form 24Q which is for salary and the second challan will be used in filing 26Q which is for details other than salary.
Required Information Regarding the Challan
|Amount of challan||BSR code of bank where challan is deposited||Date of challan deposited (mentioned on challan itself)||Amount of challan||Challan serial number (mentioned on challan itself)||A minor head of challan will be 200 in most of the cases (400 code will be in case of TDS demand is raised by the Income-tax department itself)|
Note: After compiling the data for all the challan one more task, the taxpayer is required to do is compile the deductee-wise details.
The following fields will be required in the compilation of deductible-wise details. Given below is the format that will be beneficial for filling Form 24Q
And Form 26Q will require the format and information under each head to fill the form. Once the taxpayer is ready with the data, the next step is to download the utility to file the return.
Download and extract Utility Files
Here, he has to download two utility files. First, to feed the data, and second to file the return. There is also a third file that needs to be downloaded and the file is a challan detail file.
- Download One: Open the given link https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/etds-etcs/etds-rpu.html in the browser and download the ‘Return Preparation Utility’ having acronym as RPU
- Download Two: The second download will be the FVU file, FVU stands for the ‘file verification utility’ which also needs to be downloaded with the available link available at this page: https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/etds-etcs/etds-file-validation-utility.html
- Download Three: Open the TIN Website or open the link https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/servlet/TanSearch and download the ‘challan detail file’
Anyone could find this form right there. Again, the tax deduction and collection account number TAN, the period must be furnished in the form. Now, click on the download challan file.
The generated file must be saved in the same folder as the other two earlier downloads, as it will be used later.
After downloading both utilities and the challan detail file, you need to extract the utility files first. First, use the RPU file to fill in the data. The FUV file will later be used at the time of filling data into the RPU. The taxpayer is required to click on the RPU.exe file and fill in the information.
This utility (RPU) is for the taxpayer and he has to fill in all the data here. After opening this utility you will get a window as shown in the print-shot below.
Choose the form; it depends on the choice of the taxpayer. We will work with both 24Q and 26Q. So, first, let’s start with Form 24Q which is filed for salary deduction.
Choose 24Q from the dropdown list
A new page will open, the deductee can fill in his/ her details such as name, TAN, addresses, PAN, financial year, quarter, type of entity, Responsible person, and his details. After filling in all the details click on the challan tab.
Fill in all the details asked in the challan for the quarter for which the assessee wants to file the return.
- Check the image below, and fill in all the asked details such as amount, challan no., Bank’s BSR no., date, etc,
- After filling all the data, the taxpayer needs to fill in deductee-wise details for each and every challan, Now, when going into the Annex, the previously compiled details should be fed to the fields. Many fields can be easily copy-pasted
- When all the data is filled in the forms, once go through it and check it roughly. And after proper checking, you can click on save to get the file saved. Just like the image given below, a new file with the name of form+qtr will be generated. It is an editable file so you can edit it if needed later
- Then, for the purpose of filing, we need to create a separate file, thus click on ‘create’. A dialog box will open and ask for the CSI file
- Click on that file and select a folder for storing the error file. (Just clicking on it will choose the path itself) and then click Validate
- A file validation utility (FUV) file will be generated. Now, extract the FUV utility and click on the jar file. In this way, a small window will appear
- You need to upload a Challan input file and TDS input file, it will give a path to a new error file that needs to be generated. Check the image below
- Now, after clicking on OK, an error file will be opened in the browser
- Correct the errors and try again. Once you are done without errors, a new file will be generated as Form 27A in PDF format that can be uploaded directly or sent for filing
Choose 26Q from the dropdown list
In Form 26Q, all steps are the same as Form 24Q. However, the basic difference would be that some additional information has to be filled in while filling in the deductee wise-details.
This process becomes easier because we have already compiled them in our own format as stated in this article. All other processes will be the same for both forms. Every taxpayer should try to file a TDS return on their own.
A taxpayer may, for the first time, encounter some problems, but once the format is set, it becomes much easier and steps are given above to make the return filing process easier. The habit of manually compiling data along with tracking every transaction prevents last-time congestion.
Note: Whenever a new payment is made, we have to ask for a PAN copy and we need to update it. This will make the filing process easier.
Meanwhile, there are a number of TDS software available in the market, but Gen TDS remains top of the list for years. Gen TDS is multi-functional software that can handle all TDS-related activities. TDS/TCS Returns Filing via Gen TDS Software hassle-free. The software is up-to-date with all the norms and regulations of TRACES and CPC, India, and allows users to pre-determine the TDS amount, calculate interest, Prepare TDS returns, Calculate penalty, late fees, and also allow users to directly log-in to the TRACES CPC and NSD. So, what are you waiting for? Try Gen TDS now.