The main purpose of label printing in modern marketing is to sell a product. Two mutually complementary functions of tags follow from this – information and advertising. To implement these functions, small-sized paper, self-adhesive film or plastic should have the following qualities:
- attract the buyer with its originality, style and color;
- to have uniqueness – to distinguish favorably from the tags of competing products;
- contain the name of the product, its composition, consumer properties;
- inform the buyer about the positive and negative properties of the product, do not contain false or ambiguous information;
- indicate the shelf life of the product and the basic rules for its use or operation.
Advertising and informational components should complement each other. In order for the buyer to learn about the properties and advantages of the product, it is necessary to attract his attention with the originality of the label (advertising component). And vice versa – product information can become its most effective advertising company. Both components should be as focused on the main result as possible – the sale of goods.
When creating a future tag, it is necessary to harmoniously combine the creative idea with the printing capabilities of printing stickers and labels. A professionally designed design should take into account the interests of the target consumer group, the advantages of the product, the design of products of competing manufacturers, the compatibility of tags and packaging, fashion trends in the market, etc.
Basic rules for label design:
- the color gamut should be in harmony with the color of the package and be different from the products of competitors;
- used graphic elements must emphasize the properties of the product attractive to the target audience;
- information content and conciseness of the text content is a necessary condition for attracting consumer attention;
- text design and fonts used should correspond to the consumer niche of the product and provide ease of reading
- the material of manufacture, texture and geometric shape of the label are designed to create a unique image of the product, highlight it among the analogues and leave a recognizable trace in the consumer’s memory;
- products of one brand must be accompanied by a stylistic unity of design;
- Information about the history of the brand, certificates, prizes and awards of exhibitions, contact information of the manufacturer will help to gain additional consumer confidence.
Compliance with these rules will help create a tag that will not only accompany products, but will also be part of brand promotion activities.
Avoid mistakes and the shortest way to achieve the desired result will help many years of experience. They recommend:
- take advantage of full color printing. Printing color labels will help the consumer 1.5 times more often to pay attention to them than to their black and white counterparts;
- the inclusion in the design of photographs of celebrity people almost doubles the primary interest in products;
- the text component, including a short slogan appeal, will help the buyer grasp the essence of the offer in 1-2 seconds and force him to read more detailed information.
It should be remembered that the awakening of interest is only the primary goal of the label, the main attention should be paid to building trust.
When developing express label printing design for a product, one should not forget about another immutable rule – truthfulness. Often, carried away by creative ideas, designers create a printing masterpiece, worthy of exposure in the Louvre, for everyday essential goods. Elite paper bags made in bulk as packaging and a unique tag conflict with the prosaic content.