Grease traps are recovery devices used in the plumbing sector. It is a feasible plumbing device that comes under the trapping category. It is designed to intercept greases and other solids before they enter into a waste dumping water system. This trap helps in eliminating any sorts of blockages.
Our daily household and factory wastes contain some amount of oil and greases. This oily waste enters our septic tanks and finally reaches the treatment facility centers. Somewhere in the corners, a scum layer forms due to such waste’s secretions. This layer is swiftly taken out by the process of absorption by the microorganisms. However, if the oil released in the form of wastes from our houses, restaurants, and factories is high in quantity and texture, it might lead to an untreatable sewage system. This can be released into the environment resulting in unhealthy breeches and harmful solidified greases.
In most of the cases, our drainages get blocked because of the solids and highly viscous fats released from anywhere. These must be carefully handled before even letting them react with other drained pipes and dry wastes.
History of grease traps
It might be unbelievable but the truth about grease traps is that they have been prevailing for more than a hundred years now. Also, recently 75% of the countries have realized their importance and have started to make the best use of them. These grease traps consist of fog which helps in the process of trapping and recovery of solidified wastes.
It has also been proved that most of the oils get released from restaurants, street food stores, houses, hostels, schools, pubs, etc.
- A grease trap has an inlet from where the oils will get released which usually is linked to the dumping systems of houses and restaurants.
- Later, these wastes enter into a strainer where solids and oils will be separated from each other.
- After the separation is done, the wastes enter into the main base which is the grease container. This is where the grease traps the wastes and reduces the rate of flow.
- Using a baffle system, the greases which are on top will be collected and trapped. In this phase, the number of solids will be highly decreased and helps the process to the maximum.
- Even if some of the wastes escape, they can be let back and undergo the same process from scratch. This process leaves no stone unturned and it the most efficient procedure.
- Aiding greases is called as dosing. Dosing can be done at the final outlet stage along with the fog breaks down.
Types of grease traps:
- Automatic grease traps: These are the most traditional means of trapping systems where the real waste can be skimmed or reheated automatically. Later, the waste is sent to a collector bin where the recycling or removal is decided and done. This depends on the content of fog and the level of grease present in the collector bin at that point in time.
- Gravity grease traps: These grease traps are in-ground tanks. They are build using hard concrete, steels and another fiberglass. These types of traps have a large capacity and are good when it comes to high flow rated applications.
- Manual grease traps: As their name suggests, these traps can be made to work manually. They are designed in such a way that they are low on investment and high on results. They are available in different shapes and sizes which makes them suitable for any firm.
Hence, these are some of the main grease traps which must be installed. Grease traps are not only easy to install but also can be used for residential as well as commercial purposes. Pollution will be decreased by making use of these grease traps which ultimately helps in maintaining good environmental health.