The Income Tax Return (ITR) for the financial year 2019-20 (the assessment year 2020-21) can be filed by November 2020. A taxpayer can easily file ITR through online mode and the format available online is known as e-filing The Income Tax Department has established an independent portal for e-filing of income tax returns. The Indian taxpayers can also file their ITR online by Gen Income Tax Software
If taxpayers want to file their ITR, first they need to register themselves on the official portal. For registration, taxpayers have to keep their valid Permanent Account Number (PAN), mobile number, current address, and email id ready.
Steps to Register on the IT e-filing Portal
- Open a browser and head up to the official ‘e-Filing’ portal i.e. incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Now find and click on the ‘Register Yourself’ which can be found on the right side of the home page
- Now select the user type as ‘Individual’, and then click Continue
- Fill the form with the asked details such as PAN, surname, first name and middle name, date of birth, residential status, and then simply click on ‘Continue’.
- Thereafter, it will ask for contact details and current address. Fill correctly and click and Submit
- For residents, a six-digit one-time password (OTP) will be sent on the registered mobile number and email ID, which is specified at the time of registration. For non-residents, the OTP will be shared at the primary email ID specified at the time of registration
- The taxpayer has to enter the correct OTP to complete the registration process
Steps for Income Tax Return Filing After Registration
- Step 1: Open a browser and head up to the official and e-Filing’ portal i.e. incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Step 2: Navigate to Downloads > IT Return Preparation Software and Download appropriate ITR utility.
- Step 3: Now you have to extract the downloaded utility ZIP file and after extraction of the .zip file, you will get the utility from. Open it.
- Step 4: Provide all the asked details correctly ITR form.
- Step 5: Now taxpayers have to Validate all the tabs of the ITR form and calculate tax.
- Step 6: From the online portal Generate the XML and save the XML.
- Step 7: Now, login to the e-filing portal by entering user ID (PAN), password, captcha code and click login.
- Step 8: Click on the e-file menu and click the Income Tax Return link.
- Step 9: On the ITR page, PAN will be auto-populated. Select assessment year.
- Step 10: Now, select ITR form Number, Filing Type as original/revised Return.
- Step 11: Select Submission Mode as Upload XML.
- Step 12: To e-verify returns, select one of these modes registered mobile number, net banking, Demat account number, bank ATM, bank account number, Aadhaar OTP and e-mail id.
There are multiple filing solutions available in the market however there are very few which are getting up to their expectations. One such tax filing software is Gen income tax software by SAG Infotech which is providing tax filing facilities in the form of free downloading of Gen income tax filing software to the required clients and tax professionals for many years.