There are 4 sections in the PTE exam. These are Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening. Under the Speaking section, there is a task called Describe Image. This task test your speaking skill. This guide will help you ace the task through tips and techniques and understanding how this task is evaluated. To ace the Describe image task you should try to solve this task on the PTE practice test that is available on the internet.
List of charts asked in the Describe Image task
The most common image in the describe image task is the graph. There are different kinds of graphs. To get acquainted to different images and graphs, you should take up the PTE practice test during your PTE online coaching sessions. Some of the most frequently asked graphs are:
Besides graphs, pie charts are commonly asked in the PTE exam.
This can be a little tricky and challenging. In this, you will have to describe each stage of the whole process in the given time of 40 seconds. PTE online coaching will teach you how to tackle such processes.
There are different types in tables like timetables or tables that depict statistical information.
Venn diagrams usually depict the common attributes of 2 sets or the distinction between them. It has a lot to do with unions, intersection, subsets, etc.
There are many different types of maps that include city maps, campus maps, floorplans, etc.
Some may find describing photographs a challenging task but if you understand it properly it can be one of the easiest to tackle. All you have to do is describe all the things you see in the photo using a good vocabulary. Cover every small detail you notice in the picture. Try this tip during the PTE online coaching.
In this, you will have to describe each step and the connection between one step and another using proper descriptive words.
Strategies to tackle the Describe Image Task
- When an image appears on the screen, you should take a few seconds to understand it before diving in to speak your response. You will get 25 seconds before the recording starts. Ensure that you utilize this time to properly understand what the image is about and try to figure out all the important things about it.
- After you hear a short beep or tone, you should start speaking your response. Cover all the important points by speaking for a minimum of 30 seconds and leave the remaining 10 seconds for stating a conclusion. You should be aware that your microphone will be locked before the short tone so whatever you will speak before the tone will not be recorded.
- Your response should focus on three main criteria:
- Fluency in Speaking
Your response should describe the image accurately. Try to cover all the important things while framing your response to get a good score.
2.Fluency in Speaking
You should speak in a natural flow. Try to avoid taking the long pauses as the microphone gets locked after a pause of 2 seconds. You should give stress the words correctly to create an impact. A best response contains appropriate phrases and good vocabulary.
Your pronunciation also contributes to scoring. If your speech is easily understandable then you can get a good score. A best response will have proper usage of vowels, the proper pronunciation of words and the proper pauses on punctuations. If you are not sure of a certain pronunciation then you should not include that word in your response or you will end up losing points for both content and pronunciation.
- You will get a chance to record your response only once so keep that in mind and frame your answer smartly.
- Make sure to attempt this section because you will get partial marks for speaking something relevant to the image. If you do not speak at all or your response is irrelevant then you will get a straight 0.
The above strategies will help you to get a good score on this task. Try to use them while taking the PTE practice test and evaluate your performance.