Use MBOX to PST Converter for this task since the so-called “free methods” will cost you a fortune. Read more to find out.
Imagine having to move all your furniture from your 10 yr old house to a new one of which you are unfamiliar. Quite hectic… isn’t it? Now, imagine the same situation with migrating your emails to a platform that doesn’t even support those emails. That’s much worse than the furniture situation. Although the whole scenario is nothing less than complicated, people often try to use the short way out and look for free methods. Do note that while some of these methods may look free from outside, they carry a lot of risks and may cost you a fortune. Thus, we are recommending MBOX top PST Converter so you can overcome those risks and open MBOX files in Outlook hassle-free.
Manual Method To Access MBOX Files In Microsoft Outlook
To fully comprehend why a professional software is necessary for MBOX to PST conversion, it is important to know the limitations involved with the manual methods. In this section, we will be explaining the manual method in detail and look at some of its characteristics that may affect your migrated emails.
- First, we will require an MBOX email client. We will be using the Mozilla Thunderbird application for this. You can say that effectively we will be doing Thunderbird to Outlook conversion.
- The next step is to import the MBOX file in Thunderbird. You will require ImportExportTools add-on for the same. Download & Install it in Thunderbird by going to Tools > Add On and searching for ‘ImportExportTools’.
- Once the email client and the add-on is configured, restart Thunderbird.
- Now open a mailbox folder and select the emails that you wish to access in Outlook.
- Right-click on any of the selected messages and choose to Save selected messages and click on the EML format option.
- Now select the folder where you want to save the emails and click on Select Folder button. You can create a new folder as well.
- The emails will appear as EML files in the selected directory. Count the number of emails saved to verify that you have not missed anything.
- Once everything is verified, quit Thunderbird and run the Outlook email client.
- Create a new folder that will store all the MBOX emails. Click to open this empty new folder.
- Now, drag and drop the EML files from your system to the middle pane of Outlook. Emails will start appearing, however, the total time will depend on the number of email messages.
You should now see all your MBOX emails under the new Outlook folder. And notice how cumbersome this process is without a professional conversion utility. Also, the accuracy of data is not maintained either. We will talk about this in detail in the below section.
Some “Hidden Costs” Of So-Called “Free” Manual Method
While the manual method may appear free from outside it does include some hidden costs. If your financial stature depends on the email data, then even a little issue could deal a devastating blow to your finances. While you may still choose the manual method, it is important for you to be aware of the hidden risks.
A Boatload of Prerequisites: To perform the migration, you will need to do a prerequisite check. External applications such as Mozilla Thunderbird and add-on are required to carry out the conversion. A less-technical person will have a hard time configuring and setting up all the prerequisites to hope for a successful conversion.
No guarantee of Results: Even if you go through the cumbersome manual process just because it is free and waste hours of your valuable time, it still does not guarantee results. You will end up with multiple issues such as:
Broken Images. After saving the emails as EML and importing them in Outlook, several of your email messages will show broken images. The media will not be visible in your email body.
Loss of SMTP Headers. Since the process requires a mediator application and file format, not all emails retain the header information such as email address, subject, to, from, timestamp, etc. This causes the integrity of the MBOX emails to be lost.
Goodbye to Folder structure:
Not using a professional MBOX to PST Converter also results in complete loss of folder hierarchy in MBOX files. Each email client has its own method of maintaining folder structure. If you have more than one MBOX file and wish to conserve its structure, it will not be possible with the manual method. As it involves manual selection of data and drag and drops functionality.
Having multiple accounts to migrate data will significantly increase the total time required to perform the conversion. It will take a lot of time and effort on your part to make it work.
Not feasible for Professional Use:
Home users who are not bound by any strict standards can somehow implement the manual method and risk losing email attributes in the process. But for professional requirements, where even the metadata of emails is necessary, using free methods poses a huge risk and hence is impractical to perform.
This should give you an insight into why it’s so necessary to use a professional conversion software such as DataHelp MBOX to PST Converter instead of free manual methods.
DataHelp MBOX To PST Converter – Catering To All Your MBOX Conversion Concerns
The professional DataHelp tool to convert MBOX to PST has advanced features and functionalities that ensure the seamless conversion of MBOX files into PST format. It ensures that healthy and Unicode PST files are generated from the MBOX file so it can be accessed in all Outlook versions. You can use this tool to overcome all the limitations of the manual method and perform a hassle-free email conversion.
Some of the functionalities that you can get from DateHelp MBOX to PST converter over manual method is as follows:
- A user-friendly interface and self-understanding conversion steps
- Automatic detection of multiple email clients data including Thunderbird.
- It allows you to choose multiple MBOX files at once for conversion.
- Keeps Metadata information the same as in the original MBOX file.
- The folder structure in Outlook matches your MBOX hierarchy.
- It does not require time-consuming manual steps.
- Displays inline images, and other media correctly in Outlook.
- Supports MBOX files irrespective of the amount, size or origin.
Note: The solutions given in the article are for Windows only. If you require the conversion method for Mac, you can go through the blog: How to export Mac Mail to Outlook
DataHelp software is the assured way of converting MBOX files into Outlook PST format. The manual method may attract you first but it is loaded with issues that can lay waste to the entire hours you will spend implementing it. Using the mentioned professional tool to access MBOX file in Outlook, you can enjoy an accurate and efficient conversion of MBOX emails without worrying about any hidden risks.