Sanjay Gandhi National Park (formerly known as Borivali National Park) is located at Borivali, Mumbai. This is one of the major national parks existing in a metropolis limit. Every year, this park witnessed close to 2 million visitors. The well-maintained park and the rich flora and fauna are the major attractions of this place.
The park houses a number of endangered species of flora and fauna. The forest area of the park has over 1,000 plant species, 251 species of migratory, land and water birds, 50,000 species of insects and 40 species of mammals. Additionally, the park also provides shelter to 38 species of reptiles, 9 species of amphibians, 150 species of butterflies and a large variety of fish.
There are a lot of things that you can keep yourself entertained with when you visit the national park. A whole day will seem less to cover everything that the park has to offer.
- Take a stroll – Take a ticket and just wander about here. The rich flora will mesmerize you and if you are one of those lucky ones, you might even spot a deer or two. But, do not be disappointed if you don’t as the peace and serenity of the place will surely lift your spirits. The ticket cost for this nature walk is Rs. 50 approximately.
- Cycle ride – If you love cycling or you just want to take a feel of cycling amidst nature, then this is a great option for you. You can rent cycles here in the park and can enjoy the calm early morning in the Borivali National Park. The cost for 2 hours of a rented cycle ride is around 60 rupees.
- Lion and Tiger safari – This is the major attraction of the national park. We live in times where apart from humans; everything else on the face of earth is gradually inching towards extinction. So, this experience is something that shouldn’t be missed. The best part here is that we are caged in buses while the animals roam freely in their territory. The ticket cost for the safari is around Rs. 65 for adults and Rs. 25 for children.
- Kanheri caves – These are the 2400 year old Buddhist caves, where the Buddhist monks used to live, study and meditate. You can hike up to these caves if you are a trekking fan. The ticket cost is Rs. 15 approximately.
- A stay in a dormitory or a private tent – The government has made some accommodation facilities available here in the Borivali national park. You can also enjoy treks, butterfly trails and stargazing sessions. You need to get in touch with the Nature Information Centre for the mentioned activities.
- Toy train ride – This is a must do for your kids as they will surely enjoy it. The ticket cost is Rs. 40 approximately for adults and Rs. 15 for kids.
- Highest point trek – This is another treat for the trekking enthusiast. The highest point, as the name suggests, is indeed the highest point in the city. You can see the Kanheri caves and the beautiful skyline of Mumbai. As a bonus, there is a watchtower at this point from where you can see the Powai lake, Vihar lake and Tulsi lake.
- The Nagla Block Trail – If you love butterflies, then this is the place for you. It is a haven for butterflies and it also nestles some jaw dropping beautiful fauna. It is a real treat to the eyes. This trail is located in the Northern part of the national park.
The Borivali national park is a place you need to visit if you are a resident of Mumbai or you are visiting Mumbai.