If you have a background of business and finance then probably you would like to go for a career either in finance-oriented firms, or even banking. Why banking when you are trying to enter a different division of it.
The simplest answer to this question would be banking would prepare you for a career in other financial firms or even in private equity firms. How you may ask? Well, here’s how. Banking is a profession where you are dealing with individual customers on a daily basis. Take it to the next level and think about corporations and organizations who want to raise funds for their operations. Where do they go? They come to the investment bank.
As an investment banking professional, you would be working with the corporations and organizations either to underwrite, find buyers for bonds and stock to raise the required capital by an organization. Sounds interesting? If yes, then you must know how to set your foot in the career and how to become a professional.
Here are some tips that would help you understand what all you need to enter the profession and how to become a successful one.
1. Upgrade your education and qualifications: If you are serious about your career, then you would have to upgrade your education and qualifications. And while you could be from any background, a stronghold in mathematics is recommended. Being an MBA in finance would also help.
2. Follow the career track: Keep a track of investment banking career and know which route to take. Generally, at an entry-level, you would most likely start as a financial analyst in an investment bank and move on from there. However, do remember that your career track would begin while you are interning. So internships are necessary.
3.Gain experience through internships: So if you wish to seek experience then internships are the right path to take. In fact, you should always be interning till you find a permanent job in an investment bank or a financial firm. The best thing about internships is that you could do them while studying and even after out of college.
4. Enhance your knowledge of the financial service industry: Like is the case with any industry, if you want to succeed in a particular industry you tend to gain as much as knowledge as you could. Investment banking is no different. In order to succeed you need to have a thorough knowledge of the financial service industry. Be updated on the latest trends in the industry, you could read on the current market trends.
5. Go for relevant courses: Learning is a continuous process. So keep learning to enhance your skills and qualifications by taking extra courses in business, finance, and Mathematics. This would be advantageous especially if you are from a non-financial background.
6. Showcase your skills and learnings on your resume: Recruiters are seeking candidates who are well-rounded with broad experience. To showcase those skills in your resume and during your interview.
7. Networking helps: Last but not least, networking is a sure shot way to success. Build your network by attending networking events and even at internships.
In the end, remember Investment bankers are no mystery creatures descended from the heavens above. They are normal human beings who with their hard work, dedication and continuous learning have reached a position where they are today.